Performance Improv is grounded in the concept of Offer and Acceptance – one player spontaneously asserts something about the onstage environment (the “Offer”) that the other players rigorously “Yes And” by acting in accord with the assertion (the “Acceptance”). For example:
OFFER: “I am the center of the Universe!”
ACCEPTANCE: “Yes, and I bow down to you!”
An improv performer must continually shift between Offering and Accepting. A performer who always Offers will be seen as overly controlling or even grandstanding, while one who always Accepts without offering anything new in return will drag the group down. The above Acceptance is ok but doesn’t really do much more than confirm what the Offeror said. A more interesting response might be:
OFFER: “I am the center of the Universe!”
ACCEPTANCE WITH NEW OFFER: [Licks player on cheek] “Mmm, crème filling!”
The players can then explore the many parallels between the Cosmos and Dunkin’ Donuts. (Who knew?)
In Everyday life, I’ve observed that there are people who naturally prefer Offering and those who naturally prefer Accepting. You know the extreme Offerors – the ones who drive the action, insist on their viewpoint, and act like steamrollers. Then there are the extreme Acceptors – the ones who just want to be told what to do, who go along to get along, who are very reluctant to give their own opinions.
As with performance improvisers, the Daily Improviser must continually flex between Offering and Accepting behaviors, switching between stating her own views and opening herself up to the views of others. Certainly the last thing the world of Daily Improvisation needs is another example of the following:
OFFER: “I am the center of the Universe!”
NONACCEPTANCE: “No, I am the center of the Universe!”
In my next post, I’ll describe a recent experience that powerfully brought home to me the importance of balancing Offer and Acceptance!
No comments:
Post a Comment