As I was doing some online research recently, I ran across the following criticism of the Strengths-Based Development movement:
I’m concerned that the strength movement allows executives to ignore negative behavior. Marshall Goldsmith’s [book] What Got You Here, Won’t Get You There makes a compelling case for developing weaknesses into strengths and one that appears to be a better tonic for the current economic crisis. That is, don’t we need more well-rounded leaders, as opposed to a few elites who are given permission to “flourish”?
In the name of taking an And Stance, I would address this comment as follows:
First, some background: In the book cited above, Marshall Goldsmith lists “Twenty Habits That Hold You Back.” Some of these habits include:
Making destructive comments: The needless sarcasm and cutting remarks that we think make us witty.
Starting with NO, BUT, HOWEVER: The overuse of these negative qualifiers which secretly say to everyone that I’m right and you’re wrong.
Negativity, or “Let me explain why that won’t work”: The need to share our negative thoughts even when we weren’t asked.
Not listening: The most passive-aggressive form of disrespect for colleagues.
As I’ve mentioned previously, the Strengths-Based Movement advocates using one’s precious development time to build up strengths rather than to fix weaknesses. So … does this mean that a rising leader who embodies one or more of Goldsmith’s habits shouldn’t work on these habits?
Of course she should! Because all of these habits are based on attitudes, not skills. In the context of Strengths-Based Development, I think it’s fair to say that “development” refers to improving your proficiency in applying a skill to the performance of a task. And, say Strengths advocates, if it’s a skill for which you don't have a basic talent, then an over-focus on trying to master the skill will be development time poorly spent.
However, I don’t believe the Strengths movement advocates neglecting your attitudes – especially the type of uniformly negative attitudes that comprise Goldsmith’s list of habits. The process of changing your “career-derailing” attitudes is something you can carry out continuously during the course of your daily activities. And it all starts with awareness – the kind that comes from feedback and coaching.
No comments:
Post a Comment