I left off last time by asking the question: How can Ducky reconcile the two seemingly contradictory pieces of advice given by Marcus Buckingham ("Focus on your strengths!") and Carol Dweck ("Adopt a growth mindset!")?
Well, Ducky can reflect a bit more on the Dweck quote I cited last time: "It’s impossible to foresee what can be accomplished with years of passion, toil, and training."
I think the key word here is “passion,” a word that Dweck repeatedly uses in citing examples of people who prevailed after years of hard work and practice. I think that Dweck recognizes that toil and training only make sense if you employ them to get better at something you really want to do. In this, Dweck echoes Buckingham in his description of one of the hallmarks of a strength: Something for which you have an Instinct. As Buckingham says:
"Your strengths have an I-can’t-help-but quality to them. You can’t articulate why, but you find yourself drawn to certain activities repeatedly. Even though you may be just a little scared to do them, just a little nervous – 'Maybe I’m not good enough, maybe I’ll fail' – you nonetheless feel a pull toward them."
A passion … a calling … something you must do … as Buckingham notes, these all precede the desire to start pursuing one’s chosen path. And I think that Dweck’s concept of the growth mindset can provide reassurance for the Daily Improviser as he starts on this “must do” path. Even with a burning passion behind him, the Daily Improviser’s path won’t always be easy. Especially in the early going, he’ll likely be confronted with doubts (of both his own and others’ making) and challenges that may well make him feel like giving up.
By keeping the growth mindset in mind, the Daily Improviser can avoid feelings of futility and realize that "passion, toil, and training" are enough to get him to his goal.

No comments:
Post a Comment